Saturday, January 4, 2014

An Obligatory Post

First off, happy New Year to everyone.

Now to get down to the business of this post. I know I said I'd be gone for an indefinite time, but this post had to be made.

Yesterday (January 3rd, 2014) was the third anniversary of Casie's death. It's hard to believe that it's been three years. It's still weird to think that she's dead, but I've got her box of ashes sitting beside me.

Casie was an interesting cat. If I had to think of one word to describe, I think I'd choose 'bitch'. She was mean. Everyone who ever worked at our house had been bitten by her at some point. She would turn on you in a heart beat. One minute she'd be rubbing against your leg and the next she'd be sinking her teeth into your skin. Even Titan was scared of her. I've still got scars from her.

See? Those are from a bite.


But I still loved her with all my heart. She was my best friend. She was my guardian. She wasn't the cuddliest or the nicest, but she loved in her own way. I was her favorite. I think I always had been. When I was little she would sleep under my bed or in my closet. She even used to bring me dead mice. I'm surprised that finding half a dead mouse on my bedroom floor didn't scar my four-year-old self for life.

As I got older, I held onto the fear of monsters in the dark. Casie spent every night curled up beside me. She might not have stayed all night, but she at least stayed until I was asleep. Every morning she'd be strolling up to my bed as I woke up. Sometimes she was still curled up beside me, but a lot of the times she would just greet me in the morning. I always felt safe with her beside me.

She mellowed out when she reached her last few years of life. She wasn't so much of a bitch then. It was probably because of her being sick, but it was a while before we realized it. Back around the Christmas of 2010, Casie stopped eating. I was very concerned about this. She loved food. For a while I felt like something was wrong with her, but how does a 13 year old justify that instinct? No vet would listen to it.

Casie was always large. For a while she was just fat. Although, she was a bit on the large side to begin with. She was kind of stocky. One thing I had noticed was that, in her later years, she wasn't fat fat. Her belly was huge, but when you looked at her from above, you could see her bones.

We took her to the vet and found out that she had a huge tumor. We decided to operate, but there was nothing they could do. The decision was made to put her down. It was such an awful day, but everything has it's time. You don't have to like it, but you can't spend forever in mourning. My way of mourning was to adopt Cherry. Within a few hours of Casie's passing, we were already filling out an adoption form. Two weeks later we picked up Cherry. I don't regret getting her so soon. Cherry never will replace Casie. Cherry filled the void of not having a cat, but she was not a replacement. She helped me get over the loss of Casie.









RIP Cas, I love you with all of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment